"Let's go on an epic adventure together." These were the words my college roommate, Anna and I spoke to each other upon graduating in 2014. We were moving to separate cities, her to New York and me to Los Angeles, and we knew it was going to take a few years before we could concretely make a plan and follow through.
Cue to about a year ago when Anna and I discussed an epic backpacking trip, we just didn't know where. After a few back and forths, we settled on the John Muir Trail, a 211-mile trail that covers a large portion of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. Neither of us had been to this territory and we were eager to get out of our respective lives and cities.
Overall, it was the trip of a lifetime. We were completely reliant on ourselves, and pushing each other every single mile, exceeding our own expectations. Here is a day-to-day itinerary of our time on the John Muir Trail. I created a loose itinerary before we left, but once we were on the trail and hearing of the favorites from other hikers, our plans changed. What our itinerary ended up being couldn't have been more perfect for us.
- DAY 0: Camped at Cottonwood Pass Trailhead in Horseshoe Meadows
- DAY 1: Cottonwood Pass Trailhead to Lower Rock Creek (14 miles)
- DAY 2: Lower Rock Creek to Guitar Lake (10.2 miles)
- DAY 3: Guitar Lake to Mount Whitney to Crabtree Meadow (13.3 miles)
- DAY 4: Crabtree Meadow to South of Forester Pass (12.5 miles)
- DAY 5: South of Forester Pass to Bullfrog Lake (9.7 miles)
- DAY 6: Bullfrog Lake to Suspension Bridge (11.8 miles)
- DAY 7: Suspension Bridge to South of Mather Pass (14 miles)
- DAY 8: South of Mather Pass to Middle Fork Kings River Trail (15.3 miles)
- DAY 9: Middle Fork Kings River Trail to Evolution Lake (16.2 miles)
- DAY 10: Evolution Lake to Piute Canyon Trail (13.6 miles)
- DAY 11: Piute Canyon Trail to Marie Lake (10.6 miles)
- DAY 12: Marie Lake to Vermilion Valley Resort (12.3 miles)
- DAY 13: Rest Day! (0 miles)
- DAY 14: Vermillion Valley Resort to Lake Virginia (13.6 miles)
- DAY 15: Lake Virginia to Red's Meadow Resort (15 miles)
- DAY 16: Red's Meadow Resort to Rosalie Lake (9.6 miles)
- DAY 17: Rosalie Lake to South of Donahue Pass (13.8 miles)
- DAY 18: South of Donahue Pass to Tuolumne Meadows (14.5 miles)
- DAY 19: Tuolumne Meadows to Lower Cathedral Lake (6.1 miles)
- DAY 20: Lower Cathedral Lake to Clouds Rest Junction (11.8 miles)
- DAY 21: Clouds Rest Junction to Half-Dome to Happy Isles (10.8 miles)
Anna experimented with a GoPro and this is what she put together after our trip. Check it out!